Search This Blog

Friday, August 27, 2010

Sailor Siren Style Direction




Can I tell you just how glad I am that winter is nearly over and spring is just around the corner?! I'm tired of the rain and the wind and the cold!

It is always wet here over winter which means I find it hard to be outside for long periods without getting completely drenched and looking like a drowned rat. YUCK!!

The stores have just started bringing out their new spring collections and I've just started making spring wishlists and shopping for the season.

I decided to post a style direction piece (a la Gala Darling) which will hopefully give me some guidelines as to what I want to be wearing this season , although it has to be flexible as I tend to change my mind alot when I'm actually out shopping and go completely off course!

I should really keep a copy of this style piece in my handbag or taped into my organiser which I carry with me everywhere. Hopefully that will help me keep on track and stop me from buying things just because I like them!

I like alot of diiferent things which don't always end up going together so I'd like a wardrobe where everything goes together more easily and this should make get dressed in the morning much quicker.

This spring I've been noticing alot of black/white and navy/white stripes and polka dots being paired with high waisted shorts and skirts. Miltary is still a major trend here for spring too. This spring I'm being inspired by white/navy nautical stripes and polka dots and I'm jealous of my inlaws who are in Southern France - on their canal boat.


via bluevelvetvintage; (its the dress Blair Waldorf wore in Gossip Girl!) costumesunlimited; les queues de sardines; gift!; thefashionpolice; and pocketchange

Sailor Siren

Dye your hair, keep it messy or try a 1950's style pinup hairdo. Scour Etsy for starfish to wear in your hair or silk scarves to tie your windswept hair up with; adorn yourself with sequin octopus headpieces; Troll through vintage stores to find an old captains or sailors hat. If all else fails, don a big floppy hat to keep bad hair days under wraps. High-waisted skirts, shorts and swimmers. Gold and silver button details. Bows, bows and more bows!

Wear the brightest red lipstick you can lay your hands on; apply coupious amounts of dark eyeliner and mascara, wipe white and red or blue pigments on eyelids. Try a nautical manicure or pedicure. Navy blue and shockingly bright red. Sunglasses - the bigger the better.

Drape yourself in anchor jewellery of any description; create a seaweed charm bracelet out of broken seashells and sea urchin; find an old compass and keep it in your pocket. Go for a leisurely stroll on the beach and look through binoculars or a telescope out to sea while you are there. Perhaps, even visit a lighthouse!

Start a collection of striped blazers and tops; take inspiration from St Trinians 2; mix polka dots with stripes - infact stripes everywhere!; spend some time on a boat (preferably in France); write a love letter and put it in a message bottle; learn to tie knots; practice a salute; go out and drink rum with friends and start a travel journal and cover it with maps.



"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

(Mark Twain)





"The sea's most powerful spell is romance."

(H. W. Tilman)





“A woman knows the face of the man she loves like a sailor knows the open sea.”
( Honore de Balzac - French novelist)








What style direction are you heading in for Autumn or Spring (if your in the southern hemisphere like me!)???

xxx.

No comments:

Post a Comment